Usually if I am writing on a theme, I like to define it. Optimism is usually my wheel house, so as I contemplated this topic, I really landed in the realm of the 2nd transitive verb definition: “to expect with confidence: TRUST”.
This definition reminds me of a Bible verse from the book of Hebrews.
“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” – Hebrews 11:1
What do we hope for?
- I hope for God to love me unconditionally – a way to love that is hard for me to imagine, but graciously receive each day.
- I hope for God’s will to be done in my life, even when I am unsure of what is around the next corner.
- I hope for comfort in the lives of those who are suffering: most recently families members of shooting victims and; those who are or know a family member experiencing illness.
- I hope for peace in a world filled with uncertainty.
- I hope that Jesus will return again someday, and until He does, He will be with us in this earthly journey: loving us, guiding us and showing us how to care for our neighbors.